The Hallowed Ones

The Hallowed Ones - Laura Bickle I will admit I went into this book blind. The only thing that made me pick it up to read was that someone whose reviews on my friend list was currently reading it and after a run of crap books, I decided to give it a try.I do enjoy books with demons/vampires/werewolves/shapeshifters and other worldly beings, but I was not quite sure what to expect from a book that took place in an Amish Community and involved vampires. I was pleasantly surprised.Book one of the series is really more about Katie and her life as an Amish girl and less about the vampires. The author gave us tiny glimpses of them, just enough to add a bit of creep factor to the story line, but enough to make them a major player in the plot.Katie is an Amish girl who has grown up being obedient. From the beginning though you can see that the bubbles of her questioning her faith, the elders and what path she should take in life. It was refreshing to see a strong female lead who was not gushing and falling all over a boy.I really liked this book, and I'm not just saying this because I've read so many crappy books lately. It had a strong storyline, a great plot and I'm excited to read the 2nd book.